[vtk-developers] gerrit bug fix backports

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Tue Sep 3 11:59:41 EDT 2013

On Tue, 3 Sep 2013 11:54:16 -0400, Marcus D. Hanwell said:

>We could add a VTK 5.10 branch to Gerrit (or whatever name we wanted
>to use),

Maybe "5.x" would be a better name, incase there's ever a 5.11 release for example?

>and push topics for review there with merges and mirroring
>similar to master. Gerrit would have no problem maintaining two
>branches, we probably need to improve the CDash at Home scripts to allow
>it to use different source/binary directories for the two branches
>(otherwise confusion/long rebuilds would result). With the large
>changes between 5 and 6 I certainly see value in at least maintaining
>a branch where backported bug fixes could go.

I think a 5.x branch is a good idea.  It's nice to have a functioning/stable baseline to compare against when having problems with 6.x.  I think we should only merge conservative and/or serious fixes into the 5.x branch though.

Cheers,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com