[vtk-developers] VTK and OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Wed Oct 23 17:11:06 EDT 2013

Hi all,

Since OS X 10.9 is now public, and the NDA is over, I can now share a few things:

1) the default C++ library is now llvm's libc++:
<http://libcxx.llvm.org>

VTK 6.0 has compiler errors building against this, but 'master' is OK.  Might be nice to have a new release sometime soon. :)

2) VTK uses one Mac API that is now deprecated: CGDisplayIOServicePort().  VTK's usage is straight out of Apple's documentation though:
<https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/qa/qa1168/_index.html>

I'll investigate a replacement...

3) I have a new 10.9 dashboard, Rogue6.  It's an old mini we had around.

4) Rogue6 has 2 test failures:
<http://open.cdash.org/viewTest.php?onlyfailed&buildid=3071194>
vtkRenderingOpenGLCxx-TestBlurAndSobelPasses
vtkRenderingOpenGLCxx-TestSobelGradientMagnitudePass

Both seem to be the same thing:

ERROR: In /Users/builder/external/VTK/Rendering/OpenGL/vtkShaderProgram2.cxx, line 481
vtkShaderProgram2 (0x7f8382c9b750):  a shader failed to compile. Its log is:
ERROR: 0:27: Attempt to redeclare 'step' as a variable
ERROR: 0:32: Attempt to use 'step' as a variable
ERROR: 0:33: Use of undeclared identifier 'offset'

Can one of you OpenGL experts investigate/comment?

Cheers,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com