[vtk-developers] [EXTERNAL] inconsistencies in vtkExodusIIReader

David Thompson david.thompson at kitware.com
Mon Oct 7 19:48:28 EDT 2013

Hi Andy,

> Thanks for the response but I'm still a bit confused. I have an ExodusII file with 4 side sets (file attached) but when I do, in vtkpython, r.GetNumberOfObjects(r.SIDE_SET) I get 4 but when I do r.GetNumberOfObjects(r.SIDE_SET_CONN) I get 0.
> ... Is that correct then to use r.SIDE_SET instead of r.SIDE_SET_CONN here with r.SetObjectStatus()?

I agree it is not self-consistent, but it is how the reader currently operates. The goal was to hide the existence of the *_CONN enums from users (because the context of the API call usually indicates whether the target is the connectivity array or results scalars defined over the connectivity array).

The SetAllArrayStatus method should probably either
1. have the "*_CONN" variants in the switch statement removed, or
2. call SetObjectStatus(otyp,j,1) in addition to SetObjectArrayStatus(otyp,i,1) to guarantee that no block or set is not skipped (making it appear as if variables defined only on skipped objects were not loaded).

	David