[vtk-developers] [Ctk-developers] Fwd: RE: RE: [slicer-users] Slicer hanging while saving

Steve Pieper pieper at ibility.net
Sun Oct 6 15:45:11 EDT 2013

Hi VTK Developers -

We've run into a bug [1] in 3D Slicer where VTK goes into an infinite loop
calling glGetError [2].  According to the OpenGL man page [3], VTK is doing
the correct thing, since the error code should eventually be cleared.  But
apparently in some circumstances for an invalid context the error is not
cleared which is probably a driver bug.  The slicer bug report [1] has more
details.

We can try to avoid the situation in CTK and/or Slicer by not calling
QVTKWidget::cachedImage method on non-shown QVTKWidgets, but it also seems
to me VTK would be the right place to put in a workaround for a graphics
driver bug that can cause an infinite loop.

If you agree this should be addressed in VTK, can anyone suggest the right
way to address this?  Perhaps we can check for a valid context before going
into the infinite loop.  Or we could add a counter and say that more than N
calls to glGetError without getting GL_NO_ERROR is itself an error
condition (with maybe N = 1000?).

Note that the same kind of loop appears elsewhere in VTK, like
vtkGLSLShader so whatever the right behavior is could be centralized in a
method.

Thanks,
Steve

[1] http://www.na-mic.org/Bug/view.php?id=3438

[2]
https://github.com/Kitware/VTK/blob/master/Rendering/OpenGL/vtkOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx#L526-530

[3] Here's the current man page, but it looks unchanged in all the versions
posted on opengl.org:
http://www.opengl.org/sdk/docs/man/xhtml/glGetError.xml