[vtk-developers] inconsistencies in vtkExodusIIReader

Andy Bauer andy.bauer at kitware.com
Fri Oct 4 17:15:11 EDT 2013

Hi,

I'm a bit confused with the ExodusII reader between the sets and the arrays
of sets. I'm wondering if the following is a bug or a lack of my
understanding. To set the SIDE_SET status it does the following in the
header file using the SetObjectStatus() method:

  void SetSideSetArrayStatus(const char* name, int flag)
    { this->SetObjectStatus(SIDE_SET, name, flag); }

For the SetAllArrayStatus() method, if I call that with otyp = SIDE_SET it
looks like it wants to use the SetObjectArrayStatusMethod() through the
following:

void vtkExodusIIReader::SetAllArrayStatus( int otyp, int status )
{
  int numObj;
  int i;
  switch ( otyp )
    {
  case EDGE_BLOCK_CONN:
  case FACE_BLOCK_CONN:
  case ELEM_BLOCK_ELEM_CONN:
  case NODE_SET_CONN:
  case EDGE_SET_CONN:
  case FACE_SET_CONN:
  case SIDE_SET_CONN:
  case ELEM_SET_CONN:
    numObj = this->GetNumberOfObjects( otyp );
    for ( i = 0; i < numObj; ++i )
      {
      this->SetObjectStatus( otyp, i, status );
      }
    break;
  case NODAL:
  case GLOBAL:
  case EDGE_BLOCK:
  case FACE_BLOCK:
  case ELEM_BLOCK:
  case NODE_SET:
  case EDGE_SET:
  case FACE_SET:
  case SIDE_SET:
  case ELEM_SET:
    numObj = this->GetNumberOfObjectArrays( otyp );
    for ( i = 0; i < numObj; ++i )
      {
      this->SetObjectArrayStatus( otyp, i, status );
      }
    break;

In my testing using Python, the r.SetAllArrayStatus(r.SIDE_SET, 1) call
doesn't load any side sets even though I was expecting it to.

Thanks,
Andy