[vtk-developers] Failing dashboard tests

Burlen Loring burlen.loring at gmail.com
Sat Nov 23 15:24:32 EST 2013

> There are 28 failing tests. Marcus agrees that we can add a new
> baseline for the TestLinePlotColors test. What about the other tests?
> Are they failing because of graphics card issues? Should they be
> suppressed? Or are there changes in VTK code required?
you need to look at each failing test case by case. I think it's worth
looking for bugs in the failed tests. You may find VTK bugs even if it's
a driver issue. It's a time consuming exercise and many of these are
going to be ATI driver issues. There are a couple of other ATI
dashboards that you could use for comparison, the two that I'm aware of
are tarvalon and rocky.

The way to skip a rendering test for specific hardware such as an ATI
device is to use the classes IsSupported method from the ctest. If there
isn't one implemented then you should add it. When implementing this
method you should check for GetIgnoreDriverBugs extension manager flag
so that when updating drivers it's easy to verify if driver issue has
been fixed or not. In your ctest call IsSupported, if it returns false
the practice is to let the test pass. It would be far better if the test
could return a "not run" code for the dashboard but this isn't supported
by ctest.

Here's an example of how to remove support because of an ATI driver bug,
taken from the projected tetrahedra volume rendering algorithm. Note,
that Apple's OpenGL drivers for ATI devices are much better than ATI's
so be careful not disable things unnecessarily on the Mac.:-)

   // exclude ATI Radeon HD, except on Apple, because there seems to
   // be a bug in ATI's legacy fixed function texturing support in recent
   // drivers. The Radeon HD cards are identified here by the OpenGL version
   // because the renderer string is inconsistent across platforms.
   // win7 RHD5800, win7 RHD6750M, Linux RHD7870 all exhibit the bug.
   bool driverSupport
   #if defined(__APPLE__)
     = true;
   #else
     = !(extensions->DriverIsATI()
     && (extensions->GetDriverGLVersionMajor() >= 3))
     || extensions->GetIgnoreDriverBugs("ATI texturing bug");
   #endif