[vtk-developers] Test failing since Nov 13, request stack trace

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Thu Nov 14 09:43:44 EST 2013

Hi David,

I (attempted to) tracked this quite a while ago. It has been failing on and
off for much longer. There is something very strange happening on that
machine. Some weird interaction between nVidia drivers and pthreads. The
stack trace shows that the program sometimes crashes when creating a new
threads. This can be reduced to a program that does very little but
creating threads (even if those threads don't do any work). And the stack
trace include calls into the nVidia libraries, which seem to somehow get
involved with thread creation. The crash goes away when not linking against
nVidia GL or when not creating threads. I traced the program through
Valgrind (memcheck and helgrind) and debugged it quite thoroughly and this
is still all I know. I kind of gave up at the time. I should probably go
back and work on it some more since I am introducing more threaded code
into VTK. Ah another thing. This happens on some other machines but we
could find correlation between the nVidia card, the drivers used, the libc
implementation and the crash. So it is very hard to report anything to
nVidia too...

-berk