[vtk-developers] How to handle errors in VTK objects

Petar Petrov pip010 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 06:28:11 EST 2013

Hi All,
there is this issue I'm strugling for quite a while, dont think I'm alone.
VTK docs say(and I can see it myslef) that vtkError/Warning macros
will use standart output to report errors. As you can imagine I don't
see that useful in any GUI app.

Is there a easy way to redirect that output or inject custom streams?

People ususaly post this as solution:
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/Utilities/ObserveError

Anything less invovled?

In fact in my case, using VTK with TCL/TK,  if you set
vtkObject::GlobalWarningOn() will result in
stackoverflow runtime! I mention TCL cause after some debugging I
found it is some TCL specific code that goes in infinite same function
call loop!
Any thought on that?

Cheers,
Petar