[vtk-developers] VTK without testing

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Thu May 23 14:53:56 EDT 2013

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 1:53 PM, Marcus D. Hanwell
<marcus.hanwell at kitware.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 1:11 PM, Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> There have been a few user comments about VTK6 regarding testing.
>>
>> I've started to look at the issues.
>>
>> My first attempt. Build VTK6 with BUILD_TESTING Off and BUILD_EXAMPLES Off.
>>
>> VTK6 builds find. But I run ctest and VTK6 tries to run over 700 tests. Only
>> the header tests pass.
>>
>> Why is VTK6 generating any tests if BUILD_TESTING is Off. I suspect some
>> automatic magic is the culprit.
>>
> I was going to take a look at this before you volunteered, I worked on
> some of this logic and would be happy to dig into it a little if Brad
> hasn't already figured it out ;-)

On further investigation I don't see the issues reported. The tests
you see are likely an artifact of CTest and CMake getting out of sync
Bill - if I do a default cmake run and then disable build testing then
ctest will try to run tests that don't exist. If I run CMake as
follows,

cmake -G "Ninja" -DBUILD_TESTING:BOOL=OFF ~/src/VTK

Then I see,

$ ctest
No test configuration file found!

As expected. The version of VTK I built I also linked to from
MongoChem, which uses the Qt and charting components in VTK with no
issue. I will dig into whether this is some break in logic when the
cache still has some testing settings hanging around from the initial
run of CMake. Looking at the CMake code it looks like all of the
testing calls are guarded correctly with if(BUILD_TESTING) ...

Marcus