[vtk-developers] vtk_common dashboard script

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon May 20 15:44:52 EDT 2013

On 05/20/2013 03:32 PM, David Cole wrote:
> Is there any reason not to simply use a reasonable default value for
> ExternalData_OBJECT_STORES directly in the VTK CMakeLists file?
>
> Then no dashboard scripts would have to be adjusted. You could just
> know that it's in the default location unless otherwise specified.
> Perhaps it could be:
>
> (1) parallel to the build tree
> (2) under the HOME or USERPROFILE env var directory
>
> get_filename_component and if(EXISTS could be used to place things in a
> reasonable default location without any script editing...
>
> Any reason not to do it that way?

I don't want to write content outside the source and build trees
without explicit local configuration.  A common expectation among
users is that deleting a source and build tree is all that is
needed to wipe out all record of a project having been built.

Furthermore, there is value in de-duplicating dashboard script
code by using vtk_common anyway.

-Brad