[vtk-developers] Improvements to the Python wrapping in VTK

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 13:34:00 EDT 2013

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 11:01 AM, Marcus D. Hanwell
<marcus.hanwell at kitware.com> wrote:

> That sounds great - I will make that move (and agree on reducing
> moves). My final question if you look at the patch is on the right way
> to handle vtkType.h and friends - should they just be marked as
> WRAP_SPECIAL, should we do something different with WRAP_HEADER (which
> is currently going into the classes file).

I want to export all python-wrappable files, including vtkType.h.  But
there is no vtkCommonCore-Headers.cmake, so I don't know where to put
vtkType.h except in vtkCommonCore-Classes.cmake, which is a poor fit.

The main purpose of both WRAP_HEADER and WRAP_SPECIAL is
just to wrap files in python that don't get wrapped in tcl or java.  The
WRAP_HEADER is just for wrapping headers that aren't already in the
class list.  So of course I'd like for WRAP_HEADER headers to be
exported, but really I'd prefer to export all non-class headers
anyway.

Since I never extended the "special" wrapping to the java and tcl
wrappers (and almost certainly won't) maybe a WRAP_PYTHON
should replace both WRAP_HEADER and WRAP_SPECIAL.

 - David