[vtk-developers] [Paraview-developers] garbage collection revisited (hijacked thread)

Biddiscombe, John A. biddisco at cscs.ch
Mon Mar 4 09:32:13 EST 2013

How do folks feel about garbage collection?

My main problem is that when garbage collection was introduced to VTK, the default Delete() was made to use it and FastDelete() was added if you were sure you didn't need GC. Things would have been much nicer if Delete() had been left as is, and an extra GCDelete(or similar) had been added and inserted in the places where it was known to be needed. There were some nasty (if refcount==1 and mapper==this)  type of checks in places which clearly needed it, but everywhere else...

I do realize that you don't always know when you're going to  need it, but ...

JB