[vtk-developers] Gerrit baseline policy

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Fri Jun 28 11:54:25 EDT 2013

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 11:43 AM, David Thompson
<david.thompson at kitware.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> It took me a while to figure out that updated baseline images can be uploaded to *anywhere* on the Midas server that VTK uses for binary data. So, I've updated the commit guidelines here:
>
>         http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Commit_Guidelines
>
> However, it would be nice if there were something in the Gerrit hooks that moved baselines and/or test data into some canonical location when a branch was merged -- so that humans can browse the data without downloading it all via CMake. Are there plans to do that? At a minimum, it would be nice if someone can proofread the wiki changes or move them to a better place if need be.

I haven't done it yet, but my understanding was that developers never
have to interact with/care about MIDAS. We should make this clear in
our wiki documentation, but the updated macro for gerrit-push should
upload any proposed baseline changes with your commit and they would
be moved to the appropriate place(s) automatically. You can also
create an ExternalData directory next to VTK to have all data placed
in there.

Brad probably has more specific information, I am happy to help
integrate this into our wiki docs (and should try updating a baseline
too, but I have been doing chemistry development recently).

Marcus