[vtk-developers] [VTK 0014143]: vtkClipPolyData with implicit function produces NANs

Mantis Bug Tracker mantis at public.kitware.com
Mon Jun 24 07:48:54 EDT 2013

The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
http://www.vtk.org/Bug/view.php?id=14143
Reported By:                David Doria
Assigned To:
Project:                    VTK
Issue ID:                   14143
Category:                   (No Category)
Reproducibility:            have not tried
Severity:                   minor
Date Submitted:             2013-06-24 07:48 EDT
In this example:
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/Broken/PolyData/ImplicitDataSetClipping

I create a sphere (vtkPolyData) and clip it with an implicit cube
(vtkBox). The visual result of the clipping looks correct (the portion
of the sphere that is inside the box remains), but there are 68 cells
reported in the resulting clipped data (clipped->GetNumberOfCells()),
but I only count 20 (2 columns of 10 triangles).

The cells seem to be well formed, but there are tons of NAN points
that I guess the cells are referencing. At line 250ish in
vtkClipPolyData.cxx:

    // evaluate implicit cutting function
    for ( i=0; i < numberOfPoints; i++ )
      {
      s = clipScalars->GetComponent(cellIds->GetId(i),0);
      cellScalars->InsertTuple(i, &s);
      }

's' is getting set to -inf for many of the cells, which is my best
quick guess at what is causing the NANs.

Issue History
Date Modified    Username       Field                    Change