[vtk-developers] need git help with submitting a second patch set

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Tue Jun 11 16:27:40 EDT 2013

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 1:51 PM, Sean McBride <sean at rogue-research.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Grrr git.  What does this mean:
>
> $ git gerrit-push
>
> Fetching gerrit master
> Pushing to gerrit
> Counting objects: 45, done.
> Delta compression using up to 16 threads.
> Compressing objects: 100% (22/22), done.
> Writing objects: 100% (24/24), 2.23 KiB, done.
> Total 24 (delta 19), reused 1 (delta 1)
> remote: Resolving deltas:   0% (0/19)
> error: failed to push some refs to 'SeanMcBride at review.source.kitware.com:VTK'
> To SeanMcBride at review.source.kitware.com:VTK
> !       HEAD:refs/for/master/Wlogical-not-parentheses   [remote rejected] (change 11545 closed)
>
> I have this guy open:
>
> <http://review.source.kitware.com/#/c/11566/>
>
> but need to tweak it, so I did another commit on the branch, squashed it, then tried to do gerrit-push...  I swear that process has worked before...

It looks like change 11545 is closed, and you used a Change-Id in that
change. Gerrit will not allow duplicate change ids targeted to the
same project/branch. I would take a look at the output of git prepush
to check you didn't rebase changes that were not part of your topic
(such as the one in http://review.source.kitware.com/#/c/11545/).

If you want to overwrite the existing commit in a topic you need to
ensure the change id line matches the one Gerrit has, and it is in the
footer of the commit message (last block).

Marcus