[vtk-developers] Dropping VTKData for test inputs

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Wed Jun 5 10:07:55 EDT 2013

On 05/28/2013 01:40 PM, David E DeMarle wrote:
> On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 1:37 PM, Bill Lorensen wrote:
>> My bias is to replace VTKData with the External data,
>> just as you did with the large data.
>
> +1 for the move

http://review.source.kitware.com/#/t/2853

This topic drops VTK_DATA_ROOT completely from the CMake code
and uses ExternalData for everything.  Currently the data will
be fetched monolithically.  More work will be needed later to
make data selection granular based on tests to be run.

In ITK this was easy because all tests referenced their data
on the command line so DATA{} references would naturally work.
In VTK the tests hard-code paths to data in their source code
so CMake does not actually know what data goes with each test.
This will need to be refactored for each test separately!

-Brad