[vtk-developers] The VTK Software Process.

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Fri Jul 26 11:10:56 EDT 2013

On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 10:49:26 -0400, David E DeMarle said:

>We've cobbled together a unified description of VTK's software process from
>the various descriptions of it on the web, mailing list and in the User's
>Guide.
>
>Please take a look at it when you've got some time, and feel free to make
>suggestions for improvement (either to the doc or to the process) in the
>form of comments.

One thing I noticed: the word "assert" does not appear in that document.

VTK uses assert() here and there, but not consistently.  It would be nice to have guidelines going forward.

Personally, I am a big fan of assert(), when used to guard against impossibilities and/or programmer error, as described for example here:
<http://www.mikeash.com/pyblog/friday-qa-2013-05-03-proper-use-of-asserts.html>

Dunno what others think...  But the document should probably address it one way or another...

Cheers,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com