[vtk-developers] Writing a single dataset to VRML

Shawn Waldon swaldon at cs.unc.edu
Tue Jul 16 14:25:38 EDT 2013

Hi VTK developers,

Recently for a project I was working on I needed a way to export a single
dataset from vtk to an external modeling software like Blender with the
color data from vtk.  In order to use a well supported format that has
support for per-vertex color (the data was colored by point data), I
decided to user VRML.  I didn't want to create a separate renderwindow just
to export the data, so looking back and forth between the output of
vtkVRMLExporter and the code from vtkDelimitedTextWriter, I wrote a
subclass of vtkWriter that will export an input dataset (currently
polydata, could be extended) to VRML with by-point coloring based on an
array and a vtkColorTransferFunction.

So now my question:  is there any interest in me submitting this filter as
an addition to VTK?  Is this something that no one else would use or would
be against some VTK design rule like 'writers should be unaware of color'?

--
Shawn Waldon
Graduate Research Assistant
swaldon at cs.unc.edu