[vtk-developers] cdash/gerrit emails about failing tests...

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Thu Jan 31 19:30:04 EST 2013

I'll adding a coverage submission from karego-at, the machine that
does valgrind. If you've got some spare hardware sitting around,
please consider setting them up to to hit coverage and memory checking
for VTK too.

In general I don't think that the problem is a lack of training or
discipline or insufficient tools (although I don't disagree that we
could improve of all of the above). I think that the second law of
software thermodynamics is at play. The larger to code base, the more
tedious effort is required to keep it tidy. The tools we have have
gotten significantly better, and I don't think gerrit (or its
wonderful UI) is a serious problem. Our dev tools just haven't gotten
betterer than the increased number of developers and commit volume
they've let us get to.

It is also not true that once the dashboard is clean, it will stay
that way if only the developers are more disciplined. What happens
when code developed years ago has some problem on a new OS that is
added to the dashboard? The dashboards will always need manual
intervention from time to time. The problem is that no one has that
time, all the time.

Every developer on the list is primarily concerned with the specific
tasks they have to get done. Occasionally one of us gets pulled back
to the task of cleaning up (usually before VTK and PV releases, or
when things get really bad such as after a huge major-release type
refactoring of master), but none of us always keeps at least one eye
on the dashboard.

So yeah, lets discuss how to and improve our processes, and all chip
in like the good team we are to clean up the dashboard. But no I don't
think that anyone should be ashamed of the state of things.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer
21 Corporate Drive