[vtk-developers] cdash/gerrit emails about failing tests...

Bill Lorensen bill.lorensen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 15:25:10 EST 2013

Folks,

I would prefer that we make a quick pass through the tests that are
failing and see if they can be easily fixed.

The quality of vtk code continues to decline. Code gets added, new
tests fail, memory leaks appear, coverage drops but the community does
nothing. This is not a Kitware issue. Our vtk community has lost the
will to keep the toolkit at the high quality levels vtk had in the
past.

For example, a little over a year ago I started a project to drive
valgrind defects to zero. I succeeded:
http://itk.org/Wiki/VTK/SoftwareQuality/Valgrind/Fall2011

Now the valgrind defects are at  85
http://open.cdash.org/viewDynamicAnalysis.php?buildid=2789989
and that's a build that is only running 600 of vtk's tests.

Coverage is down to 44%. This means we test less than 1/2 of vtk's code.
Why? Because over 900 tests are failing on the coverage machine:
http://open.cdash.org/viewTest.php?onlyfailed&buildid=2789553

We should all be embarrassed.

Bill