[vtk-developers] vtkDataObject user's information keys

Joachim Pouderoux joachim.pouderoux at kitware.com
Fri Jan 25 06:11:45 EST 2013

Hi,

I am writing a data reader based on vtkMultiBlockDataSetAlgorithm.
The output is composed of a tree of vtkPolyData on which I would like to
set some specific metadata (one or more metadata per vtkPolyData) that may
be used later by a specific representation or a writer.
The pipeline executive defines a special key (KEYS_TO_COPY) to allow the
automatic copy of user's defined key in the pipeline flow. However it seems
like there is not such a mechanism with data objects.
A quick look on vtkDataObject::InternalDataObjectCopy() code confirms that
only 2 built-in keys are copied during a data object copy.
For now, I attach the metadata to the algorithm executive output through a
vector information but it is not very practical.

Am I wrong with all of this?
If not, what do you think about adding some kind of KEYS_TO_COPY key & copy
mechanism on data objects?

Cheers,

Joachim