[vtk-developers] How can I test my PolyData Algorithm? #2

Kilgus, Thomas t.kilgus at Dkfz-Heidelberg.de
Thu Jan 24 05:32:10 EST 2013

Hi there,

I didn't get any answer last time (also on the user's list) so I try again :):

I have an algorithm generating a vtkPolyData as output. I would like to write a test, in order to make sure that my algorithm generates the same output every day (even though there might be changes to the algorithm or to surrounding classes). What is a nice way to do this?

I thought I could save a generated PolyData as "ground truth" and compare it point wise to the generated output. However, my output data contains lots of 3D floating-point points and thus I have to perform lots of comparisons between floating-point numbers and this can be difficult for different data or 32Bit/64Bit Systems.

I was wondering if there are any methods/classes already meant general testing purposes? Anything I could reuse for comparing two PolyDatas or anything to make sure my algorithm provides the same result for the same data. I tried to look into tests of other VTK classes but couldn't really find anything. Any suggestions?

Regards
Thomas