[vtk-developers] Possible mouse-over event in ChartXY?

Eric E. Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Thu Jan 10 11:09:28 EST 2013

Hey Marcus,

Have you guys considered adding an event (maybe a UserEvent) in the XY charts on plot point mouse-over?

I don't know if invoking a lot of events on a chart that has a huge number of points would hurt performance, but I have an application where it's inconvenient to use custom classes, so instead of a custom tooltip I'd prefer to watch for a mouse-over event and update a separate panel in my GUI with info about the moused-over point. (The info often includes images or other things I can't put into the default tooltip).

Since you still can't read the data passed along with an event when using the Python wrappings, it would also be handy if the vtkChartPlotData were a get-able property that I could query when the event is observed.

Let me know what you think when you get a chance.

Thanks,
-Eric

Eric E Monson
Duke Visualization Technology Group