[vtk-developers] vtkUnstructuredGrid - Not rendering Overlapping Cells

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Fri Feb 22 11:40:37 EST 2013

Rendering is not the problem. You can render a zillion things on top of
each other. It won't look pretty but you'll see something.

Probably what is the problem is that you are going through some sort of
geometry filter. For 3D cells, the geometry filter looks at the number of
times each "face" is used by 3D cells. It the number of uses is <=1, then
it's a boundary face and is rendered. If used 2 times, then it's an
interior cell and not extracted (nor rendered).

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 10:56 AM, Bhanu Hariharan <bhanu at petrotel.com>wrote:

> Thanks. I will look into the composite dataset but I do not have anything
> other than hexahedrons.
>
> I think it looks like VTKUnstructuredGrid will not render in the situation
> of overlapping cells and I have to find a way out outside of VTK.
>

> On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 9:28 AM, Sebastien Jourdain <
> sebastien.jourdain at kitware.com> wrote:
>
>> VTK has other type of data structure such a composite-dataset /
>> multi-block which let you create a dataset that is composed of multiple
>> dataset (i.e. Unstructured grid in your case).
>> And what you do is basically share the same vtkPoints across all your
>> unstructured grids which will then be gathered by the composite dataset.
>> and rendered as a single dataset.
>>
>> Hope that explain a bit more,
>>
>> Seb
>>

>> On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 10:24 AM, Bhanu Hariharan <bhanu at petrotel.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Sebastian, I do not understand what you mean by multi-block. Could you
>>> please elaborate. Thanks.

William J. Schroeder, PhD
Kitware, Inc.
28 Corporate Drive