[vtk-developers] Only 2 warnings left on my dashboards...

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Wed Feb 20 13:33:36 EST 2013

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 16:16:01 -0500, David Cole said:

>You're gonna have to dig farther back than that to figure out where the
>flags come from..... I just added double quotes around the thing in my
>commit so that it would work properly. I have no idea why those flags
>are necessary there.

First I had to dig to find out how to find this out with git. :)

So it seems the "-read_only_relocs suppress" was added by Dave Demarle on 2009-12-01 in commit bf339e858b10df5f9fbdaf33e90dee8767030b65, which I think was the introduction of oggtheora into VTK.

I did a test build of VTK with "-read_only_relocs suppress" removed and CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES = "i386;x86_64".  I got no warnings and no errors.

I downloaded oggtheora itself, and their autotools stuff also uses 'read_only_relocs' but they check and do it only on intel32 not intel64.  It's purpose seems to be some kind of optimization.

I guess we could:
 - just remove "-read_only_relocs suppress"
 - use it only with i386 and not ppc,ppc64,x86_64.  What's the CMake way to do that?

This would fix 7 of the 18 warnings on today's Nightly Expected.

Cheers,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com