[vtk-developers] vtkMatplotlibMathTextUtilities.cxx and vtkPython.h

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 13:48:39 EST 2013

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 11:38 AM, Marcus D. Hanwell
<marcus.hanwell at kitware.com> wrote:

> I added some comments to the commit, but I think the module should be
> in Utilities rather than ThirdParty. If your new module calls
> find_package(PythonLibs), and matplotlib depends upon it, then when it
> calls find_package(PythonLibs) it will make use of the same cache
> variables as Python was already found. Brad may have other thoughts,
> but that should be enough to ensure that a consistent Python is found
> in this case.

The move to Utilities is easy enough to do.

The find_package(PythonLibs) might be tricker than you suppose, though.
Right now VTK finds the python libs via some code in vtkWrapPython.cmake,
in the section that starts with  if(VTK_WRAP_PYTHON_FIND_LIBS), rather
than by calling find_package(PythonLibs) directly.  I don't know who put that
code in vtkWrapPython.cmake, it definitely does not belong there.

 - David