[vtk-developers] Comparing ascii files with kwsys::FilesDiffer

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Fri Feb 8 16:21:43 EST 2013

On 02/08/2013 03:58 PM, Bill Lorensen wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 3:31 PM, Brad King <brad.king at kitware.com> wrote:
>> We don't use FilesDiffer to compare test images to baselines because
>> there can be pixel-fuzz differences and such.  Text file comparison
>> may have various tolerances other than just newlines and we will not
>> be able to cover them all in FilesDiffer.  Therefore I think VTK
>> should have its own comparison tool for text files just like it does
>> for images.
>
> The files in question are ASCII files, not baseline images.

They may be ascii files rather than images but what I was saying in
the paragraph above is that they are still used as baselines for
comparison.  Some tests may want to tolerate more differences than
others, not just newline encoding differences.  Only VTK knows what
it is willing to tolerate, so the code to do the comparison belongs
in VTK.

-Brad