[vtk-developers] Fwd: Plane following vtk model

Laurent Chauvin lchauvin at bwh.harvard.edu
Tue Feb 5 14:27:27 EST 2013

Hi everyone,

I would like to create a tool to cut vtk model that works as follow:

Let's say the blue cube is a vtk model. I would like to have a line draw on the model (red line) that I could move using a handle (purple).
I would like when moving the handle (up and down here), the red line move (and change shape if model's shape is changing) following the model.

I think maybe I could use a plane and display intersection with model to create the red line, but my concern is more about how to constrain the plane to follow the model's shape.

In the following example for example, I don't want a behavior like the red line, but more like the green-yellow-black:

 Is there a way to do this ?
I was thinking maybe using a trick with a ruler to constraint points, but I'm not sure how to exploit this.

If someone know a way or has an idea, could you please let me know.

Thank you.
-Laurent