[vtk-developers] VTK install tree and BUILD_TESTING OFF problem

David Cole dlrdave at aol.com
Fri Feb 1 17:22:04 EST 2013

There's a problem with VTK install trees and BUILD_TESTING OFF. Using CMake 2.8.10.2, of course.

If I build and install VTK with -DBUILD_TESTING:BOOL=OFF, then delete the source and build trees, and then try to build a simple client test program against the *install* tree, I get this when CMake tries to do the find_package(VTK) in my client test program:

4: Error: cmake execution failed
4: CMake Error at C:/dev/VTK/Debug/lib/cmake/vtk-6.0/VTKConfig.cmake:47 (include):
4:   include could not find load file:
4:
4:     C:/dev/src/VTK/CMake/vtkTestingMacros.cmake
4: Call Stack (most recent call first):
4:   C:/Program Files (x86)/CMake 2.8/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindVTK.cmake:73 (find_package)
4:   CMakeLists.txt:4 (find_package)

The *install* tree (C:/dev/VTK/Debug) is referencing the vtkTestingMacros.cmake file from the src tree (C:/dev/src/VTK) -- the src tree was deleted after I did the install..., assuming the install tree was supposed to be stand-alone at that point.

Is the error:
(a) that the install tree is trying to load a file from the source tree
(b) that vtkTestingMacros is referenced even though BUILD_TESTING is OFF?
(c) both

Thanks,
David