[vtk-developers] Paralle versus non-Parallel readers

Robert Maynard robert.maynard at kitware.com
Mon Dec 23 11:12:04 EST 2013

Hi Bill,

I can only talk about the LSDyna reader, but it is split into two different
readers for two reasons.

1. We wanted to separate the LSDyna reader from an explicit dependency on
MPI or the parallel section of vtk from be enabled, so to do
    so we split the reader into a serial version, and a lightweight
parallel version.

2. The parallel version of the reader has the secondary function of making
sure that reading is well balanced across all nodes for each cell type.
    This isn't required in a serial version so it makes sense that only the
parallel reader would have this extra logic.