[vtk-developers] CMake and VTK_LIBRARY_DIRS

lgpasquale lgpasquale at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 18:14:17 EST 2013

I have compiled vtk using the following cmake invocation:
  cmake \  -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=../vtk-install \
-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE:STRING="Release" \  -DBUILD_SHARED_LIBS:BOOL=OFF \
-DBUILD_DOCUMENTATION:BOOL=OFF \  -DBUILD_EXAMPLES:BOOL=OFF \
-DBUILD_TESTING:BOOL=OFF \  -DVTK_Group_Rendering:BOOL=OFF \
-DVTK_Group_StandAlone:BOOL=ON \  ../vtk-git
and I'm now trying to use vtk in an external project.What I do is call:
FIND_PACKAGE(VTK REQUIRED)INCLUDE(${VTK_USE_FILE})
This defines VTK_INCLUDE_DIRS and VTK_LIBRARIES, but not
VTK_LIBRARY_DIRS.I've then tried to look at the vtk cmake files and I've
seen that VTK_LIBRARY_DIRS is read from the various ${vtk-module}.cmake in
the installation directory and that these files are configured by cmake.The
problem is that in these files ${vtk-module}_LIBRARY_DIRS is empty, and I
would say that it is rightfully so, since its value is set at
vtkModuleMacros.cmake.174 with:
set(vtk-module-LIBRARY_DIRS "${${vtk-module}_SYSTEM_LIBRARY_DIRS}")
but ${vtk-module}_SYSTEM_LIBRARY_DIRS (to the best of my knowledge) is never
set before.Am I missing something? Is anybody else able to get a valid
VTK_LIBRARY_DIRS value? If so, how?