[vtk-developers] win32 fixup_bundles looking for .dll's, not .lib's when linking to VTK

Aaron Knoll knolla at tacc.utexas.edu
Fri Aug 23 14:30:07 EDT 2013

I've been using Cmake to create a fixup bundle on Win32. Unfortunately, the VTK libraries are completely missing.

Cmake appears to have the correct paths to these dependencies, but looks for .dll's instead of .lib's.

When I try to build the INSTALL project in Visual Studio, I get the following output:

>EXEC : warning : cannot resolve item 'vtkGUISupportQt-6.0.dll'
3>
3>    possible problems:
3>      need more directories?
3>      need to use InstallRequiredSystemLibraries?
3>      run in install tree instead of build tree?
3>
3>EXEC : -- warning : gp_resolved_file_type non-absolute file 'vtkGUISupportQt-6.0.dll' returning type 'other' -- possibly incorrect

Here's what I have in my CmakeLists.txt file:

    if(WIN32)
        set(DEPENDENCY_DIRS ${QT_BINARY_DIR} ${VTK_LIBRARY_DIRS})
        include(InstallRequiredSystemLibraries)
    endif()

    INSTALL(CODE "
        file(GLOB_RECURSE QTPLUGINS \"\${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/${PLUGIN_DEST_DIR}/plugins/*${CMAKE_SHARED_LIBRARY_SUFFIX}\")
        include(BundleUtilities)
        fixup_bundle(\"${APPS}\" \"\${QTPLUGINS}\" \"${DEPENDENCY_DIRS}\")
        " COMPONENT Runtime)

The problem also happens for a static win32 library for gdal, but I figured the VTK community would have some experience with this.

Thanks if you do!

-Aaron