[vtk-developers] Looking at failures of vtkFiltersHybridPython-largeImageOffset

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohio.edu
Wed Aug 7 15:24:38 EDT 2013

On 08/07/2013 02:01 PM, burlen wrote:
> Hi Kevin,
>
> Your dashboard shows where the segv happens, if you scroll down past all
> of the 3ds importer errors. :-)

The top of the bt from gdb is a bit more interesting :

#0  pstip_bind_sampler_states (pipe=<optimized out>, num=0, sampler=0x0)
at draw/draw_pipe_pstipple.c:713
#1  0x00007fffdf7580fc in cso_release_all (ctx=ctx at entry=0x15f1540) at
cso_cache/cso_context.c:307
#2  0x00007fffdf6aebad in st_destroy_context (st=0x15da330) at
../../src/mesa/state_tracker/st_context.c:287
#3  0x00007fffdf888022 in OSMesaDestroyContext (osmesa=0x13622d0) at
osmesa.c:583
#4  0x00007fffdcc02c13 in
vtkOSOpenGLRenderWindow::DestroyOffScreenWindow (this=0xec6770) at
/home/kevin/kitware/VTK/Rendering/OpenGL/vtkOSOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx:226

At least we get a line number..

> Judging from the errors indicated on non mesa dashboards (eg
> http://open.cdash.org/testDetails.php?test=202519951&build=2990744), I'd
> say that it's too soon to claim that this is a Mesa bug.

I think we should try to figure out what's wrong with the 3ds import but
also try to figure out what's going on with Mesa.

VTK calls OSMesaDestroyContext only once before the segfault.

VTK calls OSMesaDestroyContex with a non-null context.

Is VTK inventing that context or are we breaking it somehow?

I'll concentrate my efforts on the 3ds error for now.

> On the other
> hand if these errors were cleaned up and the crash persisted, then I'd
> be inclined to blame mesa and disable the test.

If the 3ds import errors are cleared up and the error persists I'd still
like to figure out what's going on with mesa Before disabling the test.

These are builds using the _development_ version of mesa.

I would like to help fix them before they are released.

If I were using a stable or abandoned version of mesa then I would agree
with you that we should disable the test.