[vtk-developers] OpenGL Extension loading with OSMesa?

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohio.edu
Wed Apr 17 14:52:45 EDT 2013

On 04/17/2013 01:58 PM, burlen wrote:

> Hi Kevin,
>
> Tests that make use of classes that require extensions pass silently
> when the extensions aren't present, thus the fact that the dashboard is
> green doesn't mean a whole lot in this case. With Utkarsh's patch the
> extension manager is now correctly loading the extension string and
> appending supported versions. However, tests for specific open gl
> versions are hardwired to fail when software rendering is used. Take a
> close look vtkOpenGLExtensionManager::ExtensionSupported implementation.
>
> Version tests are used ubiquitously in VTK for example take a look at
> vtkTextureObject::IsSupported implementation. In Mesa 9.1.1 all of the
> required extensions needed by the texture object are available, however
> it's not working because the version test fails.
>
> Hope that clarifies things

I do not believe the situation was unclear.

All threads should have such clear explanation of what's going on
somewhere in them so, thank you for the clarification.

I ran the dashboards because the gerrit robot builds do not use
OSMesa. After all of the Dashboard greening efforts I'd hate to
see an OSMesa patch get merged without a build on the dashboard
that actually used OSMesa.

All it took was a few seconds to check out the patch and edit a
copy of my nightly cmake script.

Also, it was a lot of fun to see the LoadOpenGLExtension  test
get more and more output.