[vtk-developers] The dashboard: tarvalon gerrit builds

Robert Maynard robert.maynard at kitware.com
Fri Apr 5 10:55:36 EDT 2013

I haven't been able to track down why Tarvalon has regressed on the shader
tests, so I will be suppressing those tests on Tarvalon until we can
determine the root cause.

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 10:16 AM, Berk Geveci <berk.geveci at kitware.com>wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> Your tone was just fine. I didn't sense any negativity. At least, not more
> than I have been feeling with my Gerrit reviews coming unclean for a few
> days :-)
>
> I encourage everyone involved in VTK development to keep an eye on
> dashboards and specially the Gerrit ones. If there is something suspicious,
> please make noise here so that we can address them. I have been trying to
> keep an eye on the dashboard but I miss things - such as issues with Gerrit
> builds when I am not pushing to Gerrit.
>
> -berk
>

> On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 10:06 AM, David Cole <dlrdave at aol.com> wrote:
>
>>  Thanks for the info, Berk. And for the effort, Rob!
>>
>> I was merely trying to start a discussion with some facts and some
>> questions. I didn’t see anything already on the mailing list about any
>> pending work, just that the machine had come back up after our previous
>> inquiry about “where did it go?”
>>
>> Sorry if my tone had any negativity to it this morning... I was
>> frustrated by a lack of Windows-confirmation for this pending topic:
>> http://review.source.kitware.com/#/t/2374/
>>

>> thanks,

>>> showfilters=1&filtercombine=**and&field1=site/string&**
>>> compare1=63&value1=tarvalon&**field2=buildstarttime/date&**
>>> compare2=83&value2=2013-02-20&**field3=builderrors/number&**
>>> compare3=41&value3=0&field4=**groupname/string&compare4=61&**
>>> value4=Gerrit<http://open.cdash.org/index.php?project=VTK&filtercount=4&showfilters=1&filtercombine=and&field1=site/string&compare1=63&value1=tarvalon&field2=buildstarttime/date&compare2=83&value2=2013-02-20&field3=builderrors/number&compare3=41&value3=0&field4=groupname/string&compare4=61&value4=Gerrit>
>>>
>>> Sort the above results by build time, to look at things in date order.
>>>
>>> Observe:
>>> - Recurring persistent test failures were eliminated and reduced to 0 at
>>> the VTK dash-a-thon on Feb. 27th (yay!)
>>> - From Feb. 27th to Mar. 7th, there were predominantly 0 test failures
>>> on these builds. When it was non-0, it typically indicated a real problem
>>> with the topic being tested. Or with a VTKData change. Quite helpful.
>>> - From Mar. 8th to Mar. 21st, there were no submissions from this
>>> machine. It was apparently down for that long.
>>> - Beginning Mar. 22nd and continuing to the most recent submission,
>>> there are 10 recurring test failures again.
>>>
>>> Conclusion:
>>> - sometime between Mar. 8th and 22nd, changes were merged that caused
>>> these test failures (or perhaps something changed on the machine while it
>>> was on vacation?)
>>> - tarvalon is now only good as a gerrit submitter for detecting newly
>>> introduced Windows compile/link errors or warnings, which is still somewhat
>>> useful. But... since tests persistently and recurringly fail, it's *not*
>>> very useful at detecting runtime behavior changes introduced by gerrit
>>> topics.
>>>
>>> Questions:
>>> - Can we, the VTK developer community, fix it again and keep it fixed?
>>> Or do we need a dash-a-thon every month? ;-)
>>> - Can anybody else volunteer an additional Windows gerrit build?
>>>

>>> I, for one, would appreciate a clean gerrit Windows build. I *did*
>>> appreciate it for the 9 brief days that we had it...
>>>

>>> Thanks for considering,
>>> David C.

Robert Maynard