[vtk-developers] [vtkusers] Help with VtkDatasetsurface filter

Bhanu Hariharan bhanu at petrotel.com
Thu Apr 4 10:18:14 EDT 2013

Cory,
Thanks very much for showing interest and taking the time to help me out.

I think your explanation makes perfect sense. I do use
vtkDataSetMapper...so you hit the bull's eye.
I missed the line in the documentation about vtkDataSetMapper. I had been
chasing vtkDataSetSurfaceFilter.

That explains why I do not see any performance difference on doing an
explicit vtkDataSetSurfaceFiltermyself.

But I still have little trouble understanding the transparent grid.
I made boundary cells all blue and in between cells all red. A transparent
image of this grid when all cells are rendered is purple (which is expected
blend of red and blue). This was using just vtkDataSetMapper.

Now if vtkDataSetMapper is rendering only boundary surfaces( by doing an
internal vtkDataSetSurfaceFilter )
shouldnt I expect only  a blue image?

Or could it be that when the image is transparent, vtkDataSetSurfaceFilter
handles it somewhat differently?
Like rendering all surfaces atleast once or something ( just trying to
explain the purple color).

Please let me know what you think of it?

Thanks
Bhanu

PS: Would using a vtkUnstructuredGridVolumeMapper instead of a
vtkDataSetMapper cause a performance HIT?