[vtk-developers] Dredging up oldies but goodies

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Wed Apr 3 09:46:42 EDT 2013

Folks-

I've got a list of filters, widgets, and other assorted algorithms that I
want to slowly contribute to VTK proper. Most have been languishing due to
time issues, but I've had a yen to write more software lately :-) Anyway,
this is an up front apology (since I don't know the details of the software
process as well as I did and will certainly screw up) and a request for
advice.

The first is a rather cool filter, vtkDeformPointSet, which uses the MVC
(mean value coordinates) interpolator to smoothly deform any point set
(poly mesh or mesh... see vtkMeanValueCoordinatesInterpolator.h for
documentation on the interpolation process). Combined with something like a
pancake widget (which I have experimented with but does not yet exist in
VTK proper) it's a cool way to loft and edit a mesh by 'pulling" control
points or collections of control points.

I was planning on placing the filter in Filters/General with the name
above. Before I start pushing my work, I'd like to make sure this location
and class name make reasonable sense. Any other advice is welcome.

William J. Schroeder, PhD
Kitware, Inc.
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park, NY 12065