[vtk-developers] [VTK 0013983]: QVTKRenderWindowInteractor bug (PyQt)

Mantis Bug Tracker mantis at public.kitware.com
Tue Apr 2 08:05:35 EDT 2013

The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
http://www.vtk.org/Bug/view.php?id=13983
Reported By:                Michka Popoff
Assigned To:
Project:                    VTK
Issue ID:                   13983
Category:                   (No Category)
Reproducibility:            have not tried
Severity:                   minor
Date Submitted:             2013-04-02 08:05 EDT
VTK crashes if you use the QVTKRenderWindowInteractor class to embed VTK in a
QWidget. The error message / problem was described by Stou. S :
http://www.siafoo.net/snippet/315 a long time ago.

The bug seems to be there since 2009 (VTK 5.2 had it). I do get the error on Red
Hat 6.4, PyQT 4.10, Python 2.7, VTK 5.10.1, but not on OS X with the same
packages. I didn't test it on Windows.

Some packages (like CompuCell3D) have corrected the bug by using their own
QVTKRenderWindowInteractor :
https://github.iu.edu/Biocomplexity/CompuCell3D/blob/master/lab/3.7.0/player/Utilities/QVTKRenderWindowInteractor.py

The solution is easy, just change QtGui.QWidget to QtOpenGL.QGLWidget . (and add
the QtOpenGL import statement).

So I am wondering if it would be possible to patch QVTKRenderWindowInteractor to
be able to embed VTK in a PyQT app (and not to use it as a stand-alone PyQT
window) ? Or perhaps there is a reason why a QGLWidget can't be used ?

Thanks

Issue History
Date Modified    Username       Field                    Change