[vtk-developers] New wiki pages on VTK 6 build system migration and module development

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Tue Sep 18 14:08:53 EDT 2012

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 11:05 AM, David Gobbi <david.gobbi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 8:47 AM, Marcus D. Hanwell
> <marcus.hanwell at kitware.com> wrote:
>>
>> Wrapping was next on my list, but I had to break off Thursday and just
>> got back in today. Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it. I
>> will see if I can get that working but it may take a little work. The
>> hierarchy files are not installed as far as I know - they could be and
>> then it shouldn't be too hard to ensure they are loaded.
>>
>> It is great to have a few users of this to help with testing, I will
>> of course update the wiki page with any new details once the hierarchy
>> stuff is finished.
>
> With the hierarchy file installation, one question in my mind is,
> where should they be installed?  A few potential locations are:
>
> lib/
> lib/hierarchy/vtk-6.0/
> lib/cmake/vtk-6.0/Modules/
> share/vtk-6.0/

As they are platform independent data files I was thinking
share/vtk-6.0/hierarchy/ would be a good place for them to go. Does
this seem reasonable to you and others? I probably won't get to
looking at this for a day or so, the config file could have a
VTK_HIERARCHY_DIR or similar to point to the location of these files
in the install or build tree for external users.

Marcus