[vtk-developers] New wiki pages on VTK 6 build system migration and module development

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Tue Sep 18 10:47:00 EDT 2012

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 1:50 PM, David Thompson
<david.thompson at kitware.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>> I[Robert] have been working with Marcus to be able to use an external module with a pre built version of VTK. Here is an example CMakeLists.txt that does just this:
>>
>> project(Example)

>> include(vtkExternalModuleMacros)
>> include(module.cmake)
>> vtk_module_library(vtkExample)
>
> I've got an external module building properly with vtkExternalModuleMacros, but Python wrapping doesn't seem to work yet. It appears that the Python wrapper does load the hierarchy for the external project but doesn't load the hierarchy files for VTK. Because of this, it wrongly concludes that the class to be wrapped does not inherit vtkObject and leaves PyVTKAddFile_vtkExternalModuleClassName() empty.

Wrapping was next on my list, but I had to break off Thursday and just
got back in today. Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it. I
will see if I can get that working but it may take a little work. The
hierarchy files are not installed as far as I know - they could be and
then it shouldn't be too hard to ensure they are loaded.

It is great to have a few users of this to help with testing, I will
of course update the wiki page with any new details once the hierarchy
stuff is finished.

Thanks,

Marcus