[vtk-developers] [VTK 0013455]: vtkCellDerivatives computes wrong results on quadratic quadrilateral cells

Mantis Bug Tracker mantis at public.kitware.com
Fri Sep 14 04:57:54 EDT 2012

The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
http://www.vtk.org/Bug/view.php?id=13455
Reported By:                Simon Triebenbacher
Assigned To:
Project:                    VTK
Issue ID:                   13455
Category:                   (No Category)
Reproducibility:            have not tried
Severity:                   minor
Date Submitted:             2012-09-14 04:57 EDT
When trying to calculate the fluid strain rates on second order quadrilateral
elements the PV 3.14.1 ComputeDerivatives filter produced the wrong results. I
was able to reproduce the bug with a simple ramp function in y-direction in PV
3.14.1 and PV 3.10.1, c.f. y-Ramp_and_ScalarGradient_X.png and
y-Ramp_and_ScalarGradient_X.pvsm in attached zip file.

I attached a patch, which fixes the mentioned bug. I did not take care about
efficency concerns, however.

Issue History
Date Modified    Username       Field                    Change