[vtk-developers] Proposing vtkObjectMacro

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 11:56:18 EDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 9:22 AM, Marcus D. Hanwell
<marcus.hanwell at kitware.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 11:07 AM, Utkarsh Ayachit
> <utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com> wrote:
>>> I am in favor of adding the macro, and disagree with Utkarsh in that
>>> we already have the type macro etc and it will remove the need for a
>>> lot of boiler plate code in each class declaration.
>>
>> Note  that vtkTypeMacro() doesn't force you to add anything in the cxx
>> file. You can pretty much not know what that macro does and you're
>> okay. Not so with this macro. Also hiding constructor/destructor is
>> really weird to me. Why would you? I don't think I am thrilled by
>> having to implement function definitions without seeing their
>> declarations in the header. None of the existing macros do that, not
>> even in Qt, as far as I know. Readability of code is far more
>> important that saving typing a few more lines, IMHO.
>>
> I can see your point with the contructor/desctructor. Even with them
> removed I still think this macro would be very useful.

Hmm... I also agree that the constructor/destructor and PrintSelf
should be removed from the macro.

Even with these removed, though, the macro is still useful.  It seems
logical to have a macro that declares "New()", since we already use
vtkStandardNewMacro() in the Cxx file.

 - David