[vtk-developers] Accidental gerrit merge

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Tue Sep 11 15:47:30 EDT 2012

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 2:57 PM, Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I recently accidentally submitted a gerrit patch. This was in spite of the
> fact that I had given a -1 to the topic.
>
> When you review a topic (not just a single change) you are presented with
> two buttons: "Publish Comments" and "Publish and Submit". I must have
> clicked the latter.
>
> I suggest we remove that second button to prevent accidental merges.

Hi Bill,

I think the button is useful. I just verified that even if I
accidentally press the "Publish and Submit" button it will not merge
it unless I set the review to +2 for the topic. This means you need to
accidentally set review to +2 and hit the publish and submit button. I
like the convenience of being able to review and merge a topic in one
commit.

The reviews on the individual commits in a topic are effectively
there to aid the review, when using topic reviews the top-level topic
score is the only one that matters. I would like to enhance that so
that a -2 review of a commit would block it. Right now we don't have
many (or any) cycles available to patch Gerrit, and would like to
rebase to the latest upstream before making any additional changes.

I am updating some of the wiki pages, and can add a warning about this
but it doesn't look too dangerous to me as you must review a commit as
good to merge and then accidentally hit the wrong button, at which
stage you had already stated you felt the commit was good to merge.

Marcus