[vtk-developers] [vtkusers] ATTN: Deprecating support for setup.py in VTK 6.0 -- any volunteers?

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 12:01:59 EDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 12:32 PM, Utkarsh Ayachit
<utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Following major changes to VTK's CMake file in recent months, one
> thing that has remained to be updated is setup.py. At this point, we
> don't have the resources to update it. If there are any volunteers in
> the community that would like to  take that task over, that's great!
> Otherwise, we are planning on deprecating setup.py for installing VTK
> python modules in VTK 6.0.
>
> This may or may not affect package maintainers for various Linux distributions.

Since no package maintainers have replied yet, here is my proposal for
where the python modules should be installed:

${prefix}/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages/vtk-6.0/

There would also be a generated "vtk.pth" file that would contain one
line of text: "vtk-6.0":

${prefix}/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages/vtk.pth

This would allow debian/ubuntu to automatically find python if
"prefix" is either /usr (for distro maintainers) /usr/local (for
people who build vtk themselves).  There could be a PYTHON_INSTALL_DIR
that people could set to install the modules elsewhere.  Would this
work well with ParaView?

 - David