[vtk-developers] vtkTesting GetDataRoot not finding VTK_DATA_ROOT?

David Doria daviddoria at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 08:14:33 EDT 2012

In vtkTesting.cxx, in GetDataRoot() there is:

#ifdef VTK_DATA_ROOT
  string dr=vtkTestingGetArgOrEnvOrDefault(
                "-D",this->Args,"VTK_DATA_ROOT",VTK_DATA_ROOT);
#else
  string dr=vtkTestingGetArgOrEnvOrDefault(
                "-D",this->Args, "VTK_DATA_ROOT","../../../../VTKData");
#endif

In the VTK CMake configuration, I have set VTK_DATA_ROOT to the path
of my VTKData clone. However, the #else above is what the preprocessor
is indicating should be compiled. Is setting VTK_DATA_ROOT in the VTK
CMake config before building not the only thing necessary to get
vtkTesting to build the #ifdef above?

Also, what is ../../../../ assuming? It seems that this is an odd
choice - for example, if vtkTesting is in
/home/doriad/src/VTK/Testing/Rendering, then ../../../../ would be
just /home/doriad . Why would we assume that VTKData is available at
two levels above the VTK source directory?

Thanks,

David