[vtk-developers] Maybe ABSTRACT isn't needed

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 12:20:42 EDT 2012

Hi All,

I've seen a couple merges in the past week where the dashboard has
failed either because people forgot to mark a class as ABSTRACT, or
marked a class as ABSTRACT by mistake.

As far as I understand, the ABSTRACT property is only used only by the
wrappers, and all it indicates is that a class has no New() method.
The wrappers can easily be modified so that they check for the New()
method themselves, making it unnecessary to mark classes as ABSTRACT
in cmake.

Or is there some other use of the ABSTRACT property that I am forgetting?

 - David