[vtk-developers] Question about tiff library in VTK

Joachim Pouderoux joachim.pouderoux at kitware.com
Fri Oct 19 05:40:23 EDT 2012

Except the libtiff documentation
<http://www.libtiff.org/build.html#Other>which mentions it, it is
difficult to find some more information about this
tif_fax3sm.c (which for sure contains the state tables for the Group 3 and
Group 4 decoders <http://netghost.narod.ru/gff/graphics/book/ch09_05.htm>.
They are used to decode legacy 1bit FAX images - I guess few of them are
used in production during BlueGene runs ;) ).

However, I do not see any platform specific code in mkg3states.c, the code
which generates the tif_fax3sm.c file, just some options to format the
table C declaration to avoid certainly old issues with MS CL...
Moreover, the values of the tables in the pre-generated files tif_fax3sm.c
(for unix*) & fax3sm_winnt.c (for non unix targets) are the same, the only
difference is that the second file include "tiffconf.h" which apply some
compiler pragma to avoid useless warnings...

Joachim

2012/10/18 Pat Marion <pat.marion at kitware.com>

> VTK contains a cmakified libtiff in ThirdParty/tiff/vtktiff.  At configure
> time, cmake generates a file named tif_fax3sm.c in the build dir.  See
> ThirdParty/tiff/vtktiff/CMakeLists.txt.  But, tif_fax3sm.c already exists
> in the vtktiff source directory, and on my machine the generated file is
> identical to the existing version in the source dir.  Does anyone know what
> this file is, and whether or not the code generation step is required?  Why
> not use tif_fax3sm.c from the source directory?
>
> Pat

*Joachim Pouderoux*

*PhD, R&D Enginee*r
*Kitware SAS <http://www.kitware.fr>*