[vtk-developers] Incremental Point Locators

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 12:01:49 EDT 2012

You could map the coordinates through a function that maps all
space into a finite space, e.g. the following function is smooth
and maps [-inf,+inf] to the range [-2,+2]:

if x < -1: y = -2 - 1/x
if -1 <= x <= +1: y = x
if +1 < x: y = 2 - 1/x

You'd use the above function to decide what bin to use for each
point.  The points would still be stored as-is.

 - David