[vtk-developers] Location of tcl libs

Goodwin Lawlor goodwin.lawlor.lists at gmail.com
Tue May 15 13:36:22 EDT 2012

Generally, to find the vtk package in a source tree, you either do:

export TCLIBPATH=/home/bill/builds/vtk/Wrapping/Tcl

or in a tcl script

lappend auto_path  /home/bill/builds/vtk/Wrapping/Tcl

It sounds like that the vtk package is found but it's mixing up the
location of the shared libs.

On *nix the shared libs are created in ${VTK_BINARY_DIR}/lib and that same
directory is hardcoded in the pkgIndex.tcl file.

In your file /home/bill/builds/vtk/Wrapping/Tcl/pkgIndex.tcl
or  /home/bill/builds/vtk/Wrapping/Tcl/Debug/pkgIndex.tcl you should see a
line (38)

::vtk::init::load_library_package {vtk${kit}TCL} {
/home/bill/builds/vtk/lib}

For a build tree, that directory in the curly braces should
match ${VTK_BINARY_DIR}/lib - aka LIBRARY_OUTPUT_PATH -
aka CMAKE_LIBRARY_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY

For an install tree, the directory will relative:

::vtk::init::load_library_package {vtk${kit}TCL} {[file dirname [file
dirname [file dirname [info script]]]]}

Goodwin