[vtk-developers] ImagingFactory removal breaks example

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Sat May 12 10:18:41 EDT 2012

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 8:47 AM, Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Now that vtkImagingFactory is gone, this wiki example no longer compiles:
> http://vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/Utilities/OffScreenRendering
>
> It uses this functionality:
>  vtkSmartPointer<vtkImagingFactory> imaging_factory =
>    vtkSmartPointer<vtkImagingFactory>::New();
>  imaging_factory->SetUseMesaClasses( 1 );

Those functions haven't had any effect since mangled mesa stopped
working (I have never seen a working build), the classes were all
removed right after the branch for 5.10.

> Note, vtkGraphicsFactory still works:
>  vtkSmartPointer<vtkGraphicsFactory> graphics_factory =
>    vtkSmartPointer<vtkGraphicsFactory>::New();
>  graphics_factory->SetOffScreenOnlyMode( 1);
>  graphics_factory->SetUseMesaClasses( 1 );

That function doesn't do anything, and has the same issue. I was
planning to remove vtkGraphicsFactory once I factored out the last bit
of code that requires it. I could leave a stub if you want, and get it
to manipulate the object factory overrides for off screen only mode
(which would not work on master, although it would compile).

Thanks,

Marcus